Saturday 14 September 2013

One Day

My desperation for needs can be so easily acquired by others, at points, can just be astounding. What is very different to need. This is something that I had learnt earlier on in my life, unfortunately not early enough to avoid myself from the trap of making mistakes which could cost me more than intended. In life you learn about how difficult it is to keep a balance. Not only a balance of physical needs: school, college, university..not that.. what I mean is the ability to find a balance among yourself; to who you are and who you are as an individual. Will it ever be possible to find a peace and tranquility in the life that we lead at this current point in time. This is a question I want to be answered. But will it ever be answered?

One book that made me question this, into a much greater level is "One Day". Many people say that it is best to read a book more so than reading a novel. Now I tend to differ from this ruling, whenever I hear of a film adaptation I tend to wait to watch the movie then read the book. Many film adaptations can be so spectacular that it does respect the tranquility of the book, however for some reason the film can never be better than the actual book. Therefore I decided to read One Day after the film. The film was amazing, the actors were fantastic, attractive and precise, and I enjoyed reading the book with the image of them.

This novel spans a time of  decades on the 15th  July, St Swithin's Day, which is destined to be the anniversary of several key events in the lives of the two principals. Emma Morley is a spiky, non-U, from Yorkshire and Dexter Mayhew, very confident, very handsome, large parental home in the Cotswolds. They form a friendship that is so beautiful, so unique and so secretively romantic. What I mean by that is that the characters have a love formed among each other which is hidden from their views. It's only us, as the readers, that can identify this from the beggining of the novel.

Nicholls has made full use of his central concept, so he has drawn on all his comic and literary gifts to produce a novel that is not only glaringly funny but also , moving and, its own unassuming, unpretentious way of presenting romance.

Thanks for reading, 

Lorr
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment